Cable tie tooling question

Moderators: jansaris, Ramon, Desiree, ramon.essers

Caroline Hardy

Postby Caroline Hardy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 am

In cable harness manufacturing we very often use cable ties (aka. tyrap). IPC/WHMA-A-620 has a declaration about the cut end in chapter 14.1. These cut ends ideally must be completely flush(target), although protrusion of one (1) cable tie thickness is allowed (acceptable).
We use various tools for cable tie application, general weapon of choice is the "cable tie gun"

Unfortunately, this tool (and others) does not achieve the target condition. Not a issue of major concern when the harness doesn't required much manual handling. But the cut ends can unexpectedly damage hands of the installation crew. That is where we combine the use of small electronic cutters like below:

Unfortunately, these tiny cutters wear quite quick and suffer from alternate uses (cutting up to 14AWG wire....).
Would any of the forum members have any better alternatives? We tried and tested various cable tie guns of known brands but none of then cut as flush as the tiny side cutters.
jansaris

Re: Cable tie tooling question

Postby jansaris » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello Caroline,

It is a known problem in which proposals below I hope you could help solve this problem.
1. The end of the cable-tie edit with a hairdryer or heating plate after cutting
2. Applying a Cable Tie tension and cutoff tool. See the following demonstration movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUbSo0kmneA
3. Tool of ACS See https://www.advancedcableties.com/wordp ... T-HVAC.pdf

Please let me know if you have questions

I wish you very good luck and like to see your results.

Have a nice day.

Kind regards,
Jan Saris
Caroline Hardy

Postby Caroline Hardy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:33 am

Good morning Jan,

Thanks for your answers. Especially #1 is a thing we never thought about.
I will order a Cartridge cutter tip for the JBC soldering station. It's this tip: http://www.jbctools.com/c245138-cartrid ... enu-4.html.

Most cable ties in my work do not require the end to be 100% flush (acceptable to IPC/WHMA-A-620B 14.1 will do the job), so a regular "tension & cut" tool will do the major part of the work. For the cable ties which need to be completely flush because of the handling involved, I will heat sear the protruding end of the tie.

Really good solution, thanks for your assistance. I appreciate your help.

Kind regards, Caroline
jansaris

Postby jansaris » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello Caroline,

You are welcome. I like it very much to help other engineers and companies to be able.
That is why I am also are active on this forum where we try to help each other together.

Obviously I'm also curious which company you you for work.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Jan Saris
e-mail: jansaris@live.nl
Caroline Hardy

Postby Caroline Hardy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Hello Jan,

I work for MTB Maastricht, where we have an electronic/electric manufacturing departement.
Mostly it's switchboxes and smaller wire harnesses which are manufactured by this team.

Have a great weekend! Regards, Caroline Hardy
Caroline Hardy

Postby Caroline Hardy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

As an addition to this topic, we've started using the EVO7 cable tie gun (Hellerman Tyton). It is an expensive tool at €275,- but does cut the end of the cable tie completely flush.
KentMarshall11

Postby KentMarshall11 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:56 am

I utilize tight lock grip needle below. Don't know whether they originate in wonderful long size. Detestation to be basic, tool. I never at any point knew they made stainless zip ties.
sindyciaray

Postby sindyciaray » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:57 pm

No Wonder as the tie cable was not that much strong and its break soon, so in my view you can be there and make that cable strong even from the end cable was not that much strong and its break soon
[url=https://phenq-reviews.com/]PhenQ Review[/url]
Ramon

Postby Ramon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:55 pm

KentMarshall11 wrote:I utilize tight lock grip needle below. Don't know whether they originate in wonderful long size. Detestation to be basic, tool. I never at any point knew they made stainless zip ties.

Yes, stainless sip ties are produced by companies like Band-It. Cabling however does not use stainless steel zip ties very often. It is sometimes used to tie shielding to the outer shell of a metal-cased connector.
Keep calm and focus on soldering
MichaelGausa

Postby MichaelGausa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:40 am

So if you want no stretch would you use chains instead of ropes for your tie downs?? Just throwing fuel on the fire.
DENNY

:)

Return to “Tips & Tooling”